Saturday, October 16, 2010

77

I am going to tell you all something is very difficult for me to say, and something that I have thought over thoroughly and with painstaking diligence.

My top 10 movie list.

I love movies, but I am also a pretty big movie critic. I don't like to waste my time going to see a movie that is only so-so. I want epicness, I want complex plots, I want top notch acting, and I DO NOT WANT CHEESINESS. If you are going to have people fall in love in your movie, find an original way to do it, or try and do it realistically. Don't do it the way that thousands of other movies have done before. Ok, stepping down from the soapbox.

I am not claiming these movies to be the top 10 best movies ever, they just happen to be my favorites. Also, I change my mind about the order of these constantly. But #1 is for sure my #1.

1. Lucky Number Slevin. This movie has everything that makes a movie great. Witty dialogue, great characters, a complex plot, an unexpected twist, action, love, etc. And really bizarre wallpaper. If you can't tell, I love this movie. You should watch it.

2. V for Vendetta. This movie is just so epic. Oh, and I love Natalie Portman, especially because of her rap on SNL.
3. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. Best adaption from a book, ever. I love the first two as well, but I am not going to put more than one movie from a series in my top ten, just for diversity's sake.
4. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. In the past this was my number 1, but it has been bumped down a few spots because it lacks the epic quality of the previous 3.


5. Little Miss Sunshine. You know a movie is good when it literally makes you gasp. When the son found out that he was color blind and therefore couldn't be in the air force... wow. Any movie that can devastate you that much is a good movie.

6. O Brother, Where Art Thou? This movie is very loosely based on the Odyssey. Very, very loosely.
7. Inglourious Basterds. This movie is great overall, but it mainly makes the top ten because of one single scene: when the farmer is being interrogated to see if he is hiding any Jews. The tension in the air was almost tangible.
8. Maverick. Mel Gibson at his best, in my opinion. Thanks to my Aunt Julie, for convincing me to watch this movie so many years ago.
9. The Matrix (Number 1). Don't get me started about the next two, but I do love the first one.
10. Shaun of the Dead. This movie may seem a little out of place on this list, but what would this list be without a good Zombie movie on it? And yes, I do prefer it to Zombieland, although I do love that movie as well.

So there's my list. I can't end this post though without mentioning my 5 favorite comedies. I didn't include them on the list because I just feel like they are too different from the other movies and deserve their own list. In no particular order, here they are.
  • Anchorman
  • Hot Rod
  • Zoolander
  • Tommy Boy
  • The Hangover

Alright, now you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment